Saraswati Puja Vidhi
Hindus celebrate Saraswati Puja on Vasant Panchami, which is a festival that marks the beginning of the spring season. On the day of Saraswati Puja, it is a popular ritual to initiate the education of young children on this day. This ritual is known as Akshar-Abhyasam or Vidya-Arambham. On this day, young girls drape themselves in yellow or Basanti coloured sarees and yellow coloured Prasad is prepared that includes laddoo, sweet saffron pudding, pineapple semolina pudding etc. and yellow flowers, such as marigold are offered to the Goddess.
Saraswati Puja Vidhi
- Place the deity’s photograph facing the east or west direction on a wooden platform covered with yellow or red cloth.
- Besides books, musical instruments, pens and pencils are placed beside the deity.
- Use ghee, sesame or mustard oil to light the earthen or the brass lamp.
- The next step is to burn a few incense sticks
- Invite the deity with utmost devotion to invoke her blessings.
- Apply kumkum and chandan tikka on the deity’s forehead.
- Finally chant the following shloka
“Ya Kundendu-Tushara-Hara-Dhavala, Ya Shubhra-Vastravrita,
Ya Vina-Vara-Danda-Mandita-Kara, Ya Shveta-Padmasana॥
Ya Brahmachyuta-Shankara-Prabhritibhirdevaih Sada Vandita,
Sa Mam Patu Saraswati Bhagawati Nihshesha-Jadyapaha॥“
Whose beauty can be compared to that of a jasmine flower
Who is clad in white, has a Veena in one of her hands and sits on the white lotus,
Who is praised by Vishnu, Brahma, and Shiva and the other Gods and Devas
Show me Goddess Saraswati with your blessings and help me to get rid of my unawareness.
Shodashopachara Puja or Saraswati Puja vidhi (16 steps)
The following is for the new idol and includes sixteen steps to worship the deity of learning and while observing the steps, chantmantras all along.
- Dhyana (mediation): The worship of the Goddess begins with the meditation of the deity.
- Avahana (welcome): This step includes the chanting of the mantra in front of the idol while doing the avahana mudra that is joining both the palms and folding the thumbs inward.
- Asana (Offer seat):The next step is to offer seat to the deity and taking flowers in the palm for anjali.
- Padya (Feet): After offering the deity a seat, offer her water to wash her feet.
- Arghya: Offer the Goddess water for abhishekam.
- Achamaniya: (Purification ritual): Offer water to Goddess Saraswati for achamana.
- Snana (Bathing): Offer the deity water to bathe.
- Panchamrita Snana (Panchamrita Bath): After bathing with normal water offer the deity special panchamrita bath.
- Shuddhodaka Snana (Pure Bath): The next step is to offer the deity bath with pure water.
- Gandha Snana (Scented Bath): After the pure bath, offer the Goddess fragrant bath. This is again followed by pure bath and then clothes are offered to the Goddess.
- Vastra (Clothes): After the scented bath, offer new clothes in the form of moli to the Goddess.
- Gandha (Scent): After Vastra offer sandalwood to Goddess Saraswati.
- Saubhagyadravyam (Coveted Items): Offer the Saubhagya Dravya, such as kumkum, haldi, sindoor to Goddess Saraswati.
- Alankara(Jewellery): The next step is to offer the deity jewellery.
- Pushpa (Flowers): Offer flowers to the Goddess of Learning.
- Dhupam (Incense Stick): Afteroffering flowers, the incense stick is lighted for the deity.
Perform the Saraswati Puja vidhi with a lot of sincerity and devotion in your heart. That will please the Goddess and all your wishes will be granted.